Friday 13 June 2014

Cardmaking Meets the Garden


Happy Friday.  As we move into the weekend, here is the card I made yesterday using ferns from my garden.  I was scratching my head when I read Virginia's View Challenge :


Virginia's challenge is to make a tag or a scrapling and incorporate a recycled element.  

My garden is over-run with ferns these days.  I love them but had to pull a few out.  It seemed like such a shame to compost all of those gorgeous fronds so I brought them inside to use for cardmaking- true recycling!!
I sprayed the fern with Mr. Huey's Spray ink then carefully lifted it up and pressed it onto my tag.  The background piece was embossed then splattered with more of the ink.  
That piece of burlap has been sitting on my desk for months so I decided to use it.  I think it adds to the natural feel of my card and I like the way the squares on the embossed bkg. mimic the look of the burlap.  Stamped the banner then mounted it with pop dots to the front of the tag.  

I am also adding my card to these challenges:

CASology- ANNIVERSARY


Keep it Simple- SPLATTER


Shopping Our Stash- SOMETHING SOFT




Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Supplies:  stamps- Penny Black/ tag die-MFT/ string/ burlap/ Mr. Huey's spray ink/ Memento bl./ fern from the garden

15 comments:

Nonni said...

Stunning tag card. The fern has stamped perfectly! Wow!

JanR said...

Using a fern to stamp.....that's brilliant! Fabulous card. I especially love all the twine.

SD pooja said...

I love using plant leaves for stamping !! Lovely card n beautiful textures too !

sandie said...

Another stunning card Karen and Iove the use of burlap, thanks for joining us at ATSM

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Karen, this is fabulous with the burlap and twine for the tag! Definitely love how you've used scraps to incorporate recycling! We all need to do more of that! LOL! What a fabulous card, MF!! Hugs!

Donna said...

Not sure what happened to my first comment, so I will try again...
Love the card, the green on white, the burlap...my gardens are also over run this year with HUGE ferns!
Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping Our Stash for the "Something Soft" challenge!

Sybrina K said...

Love the way all these natural elements come together to create such a pretty card... full of texture and dimension.

dnisme@blogspot.com said...

Grrrr! I should have thought of using the garden as a stamp. Too easy I guess. I love your card and how it all comes together. The green is so pretty and fresh. Your card makes me feel happy. :)

Meghan said...

Pretty card Karen! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

Virginia L. said...

GREAT use of the actual fern (who knew?) Karen! You did an awesome job in pulling all the elements together! I love the tag on this card! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia's View Challenge!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Amazinly lovely Karen!!

Thanks for joining CASology in the celebrations, tune in we have more to come and blog candy!, so check out CASology's post TODAY to see what is coming!!!!

---Also check out my special post tomorrow -for MORE Fun, Prize and a GAME!

Deborah Frings said...

Beautiful card! I think the fern tag is fab. Thanks so much for playing along with ASM this week!

Chris Dring said...

What a pretty card, and a great way to recycle a fern leaf! Thanks for joining us for the Something Soft challenge at Shopping Our Stash!

Jen Mitchell said...

Wow, using a fern from your garden is a fantastic idea. The image is fab! I love the warmth from the burlap and linen twine too.

Linda Beeson said...

That stamped fern is wonderful! Since I have tons of those in my yard, I will be trying that!