Saturday 10 June 2017

Flower Lanterns

Happy Saturday.
Playing with some a new stamp from Penny Black today.
I find the Chinese Lantern flowers to be quite fascinating to see growing in the garden.  Their bright orange pop of colour and their unusual shape just hanging there really makes for a beautiful plant.

I began my card by placing the Flower Lanterns into my Misti, then proceeded to colour the flowers using my Tombow markers.  I started with a light yellow, coloured directly onto the stamp, sprayed with water then pressed onto my paper.  I repeated that process using an orange then a hint of red just at the base.
The sprays of water help the colours to blend into each other.
I used the same process for the leaves only using shades of green.
When dry, I inked up my Script stamp with Versamark ink and stamped randomly over my card front.  I sprinkled on some white embossing powder and heat set to add some interest to the bkg.
I stamped the sentiment from the Sentiment Collection and then I sponged the card using Distress inks and an inking tool.  
To help add further interest, I stenciled in the bkg using some drywall tape and more of the same green Distress ink.



Have a great weekend and thanks so much for coming by to take a look.

Adding my card to these challenges:

Craft Stamper Magazine- ANYTHING STAMPED GOES

Creative Fingers- ANYTHING GOES

Penny Black and More- ANYTHING GOES

Watercooler Wednesday- FEMININE ANYTHING GOES


Supplies
Stamps:  Flower Lanterns, Script, Sentiment Collection (PB)
Ink:  Tuxedo Black Memento; Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn Distress (TH), Tombow Markers,
Versamark
Paper- heavy white (local store)
Accessories and Tools- MISTI, drywall tape, white and clear Embossing powder, heat tool,
 Mister (TH), inking tool (TH)

28 comments:

Marilyn said...

This is so pretty. Love the splashes of colour against the green... so striking.

Aquarius said...

The lanterns always look good in the garden and they also look great on your card - love it.

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning card Karen, love Chinese Lanterns too and this is one great card showing the beautiful colours, gorgeous green too.xx [aNNie]

CherylQuilts said...

Ooh! Karen, this is gorgeous, and I knew I should have bought this one too! Hehe! I love the colors are great layout! Stunning card, as always, girlfriend! Hope all is well! Hugs! xoxo

Susan said...

Love those Chinese lanterns - fabulous card with lots of interest from the text and stenciling.

p.s. I grew the Chinese lanterns in my garden one year - loved them, and brought them in to dry and they were beautiful. But then hated them the next year when the plants started to spread and take over the whole flower bed, and they were really hard to dig out!!

nancy littrell said...

Stunning Chinese Flower Lanterns design, Karen! Your stamped watercolour technique worked beautifully for your flowers. Love all your background stamping and stenciling for added textures. Your framing is perfect too. Your card would be so wonderful permanently framed and hung up to admire. TFS my friend. Hugs...

Verna Angerhofer said...

Such beautiful cheery colors and a gorgeous card design. The sentiment is perfect with it as this is such a happy look with those Chinese Lanterns in those colors.

Loll said...

So pretty, Karen. The colours are so bright and fresh. xx

Char said...

What a beautiful card! Thank you so much for your detailed instructions on how you created this lovely.

Cara said...

Such a pretty watercolour look to this card x

Pat said...

This is beautiful Karen and I adore the green background with the script and dry wall tape stencilling, and then the pretty orange chinese lanterns, and a lovely sentiment to finish. x

Nstiz said...

The color blending using this technique is amazing on this card! I'm new to this technique and finally had moderate success with it. I always love all the interest in your backgrounds too! Beautiful!

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous colour blending with the lanterns, also love your stenciled and stamped background

Dortesjs said...

Stunning card and very soft colours

brenda said...

A totally delightful floral creation and adore this stamp, it was one of those I 'had' to have, many thanks for joining in our June challenge at Penny Black and More.

B x

Heidi Weaver said...

Karen it's such a pleasure to see your beautiful watercolours. Your Chinese Lantern flowers and the leaves are absolutely lovely. Adding the random white heat-embossed script really adds so much to the background. Such a striking card! Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A GORGEOUS card with beautiful colours and a lovely sentiment.
Faith
x

Bonnie said...

I love the gradient colors of your lantern flowers, Karen! And the background adds subtle interest that makes the lanterns even prettier!

Nora Noll said...

The way you colored the lantern flowers on this is beautiful. I love the green background!!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Karen this is a wonderful vibrant and beautifully detailed card. Chinese Lanterns are so beautiful, and this Penny Black stamp has really captured their unique look. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful card with the Watercooler Wednesday challenge this week.

papierelle said...

A beautiful watercolour work.

Fiona said...

Stunning card - I love those gorgeous orange colours which really pop. Fab colouring. Thanks for joining in with us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

libbystamps said...

Love all the layers of color in your card! Thank you for linking up with my Feminine 'Anything Goes' challenge this week!

Bobby said...

Your go to style made even more gorgeous by these glowing lanterns, Karen.

Gail said...

Absolutely stunning work of art! Great technique using your MISTI. And the background details are just perfect. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

crafty-stamper said...

Gorgeous stamp and the zingy orange looks great against the green
Carol x

Pink Panoply said...

I love the colors on this gorgeous card. You have colored the Penny Black images beautifully.

Tracy said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x